Thursday, February 10, 2011

THE GROCERY STORE


Last week I took on the challenge to shop at Publix with the following considerations in mind:

  • Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as a food.
  • Avoid eating products that contain products that are unfamiliar, unpronounceable, more than five in number, or that include high-fructose corn syrup.
  • Avoid food products that make health claims.
  • Stay out of the middle of the supermarket
  • Get out of the supermarket whenever possible

On the whole, I feel I was successful. I was not, however, successful in limiting products that contain ingredients that were more than five in number. I did limit myself to products where I was familiar with all of the ingredients. 

In my shopping experience, I did have one interesting find: the Haagen Dazs "Five" brand of ice cream.


Each of these flavors of ice cream contains only five ingredients which are clearly listed on the front of the carton. I wonder if Michael Pollan's suggestion of five ingredients had any impact on the launch of this product line. 

I must say that there's something different about knowing exactly what is in your food - It tastes better. Whether this difference in taste is psychological or an actual difference in taste, I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment